There are steps given below to get your Windows PC ready for downloading and installing your McAfee software, but before you start, prepare your mind that you may need to restart your PC again and again to end the installation process on a successful note. And also make sure that your PC meets the minimum requirements required for installing the McAfee Consumer products, and then follow the further mentioned steps for McAfee activate in order:
1 # Make sure Windows is up-to-date
This is the important step that will help to avoid issues with your McAfee software during and after download and installation.
- Head to the bottom left of your Windows desktop and click the Start button there.
- Type Windows update in the search box and Press ENTER.
- Click the onscreen option Check for updates.
- Follow the prompts that display on screen along with the process. Windows automatically will download and apply any important updates.
2 # Steps to Download and run the McAfee Pre-Install Tool
This is the another important step that makes your PC ready for McAfee Software installation.
- Download the Pre-Install Tool and Save the file to a temporary location, such as your desktop.
- Double-click the Pre-Install_Tool.exe file, and follow the prompts.
- Read the warning message, and click OK to agree to the changes.
- After the Preinstall Tool completes: Click OK < Click Close < Restart your computer.
3 # Uninstall any existing McAfee or any other security software
To avoid any conflict with the installation of McAfee software, make sure to remove any existing McAfee or any other security products (anti-virus, firewalls, and so on).
4 # Run the McAfee Consumer Product Removal (MCPR) tool
You should run the McAfee Consumer Product Removal (MCPR) tool to remove any old files if you have ever installed a McAfee product on your computer.
- Before using MCPR tool to remove McAfee Consumer Product Removal Tool, always download a new copy of MCPR tool. Doing so will ensure that you are using the latest version that will successfully recognize the newer McAfee products.
- MCPR is not designed to clean up 100% of components, it will clean up only those components that are needed for reinstallation.
- You need to restart once to complete this step.
But before you start:
- Bookmark or favorite this web page to get it back easily.
- Save all open and running files.
- Close all programs and then continue with the following steps.
- Download the MCPR tool and double-click MCPR.exe.
- Click Yes, Continue, or Run (depending on your version of Windows) when you see a security warning on your computer screen.
- Click Next at the McAfee Software Removal screen, and accept the End User License Agreement (EULA) to click Agree.
- At the Security Validation screen:
- Validation is case-sensitive so enter the characters exactly as displaying on your screen.
- Click Next as this step will prevent the accidental use of MCPR.
- You will see one of the following messages as soon as the process is complete. Click either of the two that you see.
- Removal Complete
- Cleanup Unsuccessful
- Your PC is ready to install the McAfee software after completing all the above steps in order.
These are the optional steps that might helpful for trouble-free installation.
Temporarily disable pop-up or ad blockers
- Temporarily disable pop-up blocker if your browser has it enabled. Doing so may reduce the possibility of otherwise interference with your installation.
- Disable your pop-up blocker, and to do so, look in the Settings or Options menu of your browser. Also remember to enable pop-up blocker again when your installation is complete.
Run Windows Disk Defragmenter
Disk Defragmentation of hard drives improves performance so you can try it also.
Important Note: You do not need to defragment your disk if you have a Solid-State Disk (SSD). You need to defragment a mechanical (spinning) hard drive.
To run the defragmenter:
- Look at the bottom left of your Windows desktop and click the Start button there.
- Type defragment in the search box and press ENTER.
On Windows 10.x, and 8.x, click Defragment and Optimize drives.
On Windows 7.x, click Disk Defragmenter.
If you need any further assistance, you may please visit www.mcafee.com/activate
Lynda Carter, a creative person who has been studying and writing the blogs and the articles on the latest technologies to make awareness about these among the readers. He has been writing about the latest updates and the errors on McAfee activate. His articles have been published in many popular e-magazines.